Mark Apsolon's Video Production Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lighting - Color Temperature

2 posters

Go down

Lighting - Color Temperature Empty Lighting - Color Temperature

Post  JayD Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:33 pm

How much does Color Temperature matter when lighting a green screen?

I presently have 2 main lights (with diffusers, and umbrellas), each consisting of 3 - 26 watt, 5500K florescent bulbs. However, this doesn’t seem to be enough light so I am looking at purchasing a couple of twin halogen work lights, each light consist of a 250W and a 500W halogen bulbs with a color temperature of between 2800 and 3400 degrees Kelvin.

I guess the question is just simply does it matter if mix color temperatures in my lighting scheme and if so how much does it matter.

A secondary question is how much light (watts, lumens, whatever) needs to be on my subject and on the green screen for good Chroma Keying?

Thanks

JayD

Back to top Go down

Lighting - Color Temperature Empty Re: Lighting - Color Temperature

Post  SonicOrbStudios Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:45 am

I highly suggest not mixing color temps when it comes to any lighting. I have found lighting myself with lower temp lights works well while using the hotter worklights for the green screen but as soon as you start mixing different lights for one section, (in this case the chroma key screen) You will have a hard time getting a proper white balance on the cam and it will lead to a bunch of different problems when keying out in the software.

Mark has the Training DVDs on chroma keying. I suggest getting that and watching it if you have not already as he goes over lighting quite a bit. While you're at it, the Lighting Basics DVD would not be a bad thing to pick up at the same time.
SonicOrbStudios
SonicOrbStudios

https://www.youtube.com/user/sonicorbstudios

Back to top Go down