Mark Apsolon's Video Production Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tell me what you think. My camera for my budget.

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tell me what you think. My camera for my budget. Empty Tell me what you think. My camera for my budget.

Post  WickedWeb Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:00 am

Am I making a mistake or would this be good for me to get started. It falls more into my budget and seems to have majority of my requirements. The biggest con I have concern with is audio. This is easily solved with an external audio adaption. Tell me your thoughts and for those that know what they are talking about (not me) I would appreciate being pointed to a compatible external audio set up.. Also how do I know what tripod would work for me or if it would even hold the camera? Sorry really new to it all.

Thanks for any help.. Trying hard to get started.. A new 4GB imac with High end graphics card is in the works too. Here is the link to the camera.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/518555-REG/Sony_HVRHD1000U_HVR_HD1000U_Digital_High_Definition.html#reviews
WickedWeb
WickedWeb

Back to top Go down

Tell me what you think. My camera for my budget. Empty Re: Tell me what you think. My camera for my budget.

Post  GottaLaunch Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:42 am

Ok, that camera isn't that bad, but if I were you I'd buy something like a second hand Z1U or so, considering the fact that the HD1000 is lacking some features which oyu would expect on a pro camera.

So my advise is to just take a look at Ebay first Smile ,

Yours, WVD
GottaLaunch
GottaLaunch

http://www.gottalaunch.com

Back to top Go down

Tell me what you think. My camera for my budget. Empty Re: Tell me what you think. My camera for my budget.

Post  WickedWeb Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:38 pm

You saying to consider a used camera? I think I would be setting myself up for failure going with used..
WickedWeb
WickedWeb

Back to top Go down

Post  WickedWeb Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:53 pm

Well I take back my last post. Its not that I think I would be setting up for failure. Its just with such an investment and the camera being used just scares me at the possibility of things turning out poorly with me suffering of owning a possible problematic camera. Ill look into it though.
WickedWeb
WickedWeb

Back to top Go down

Post  WickedWeb Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:00 pm

I searched ebay for the zu1 with a couple search terms. I found one a little over $2G and the rest were new over $4G. Little over my financial levy.
WickedWeb
WickedWeb

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicOrbStudios Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:55 pm

I would tend to stay away from ebay when it comes to pro grade cams. You should buy new and get the extended coverage. This protects you against any type of damage, be it a burnt out pixel on the screen or lens problems...
We don't expect these things to fail but it's always nice to have that backup.
SonicOrbStudios
SonicOrbStudios

https://www.youtube.com/user/sonicorbstudios

Back to top Go down

Post  WickedWeb Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:02 pm

SonicOrbStudios wrote:I would tend to stay away from ebay when it comes to pro grade cams. You should buy new and get the extended coverage. This protects you against any type of damage, be it a burnt out pixel on the screen or lens problems...
We don't expect these things to fail but it's always nice to have that backup.

Agreed. That is how I felt.
WickedWeb
WickedWeb

Back to top Go down

Post  GottaLaunch Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:14 am

Yeah that's how I felt earlier too, but last year I talked to a pro videographer who has his own production company, and he said that professional videographers are as careful with their camera like it would be his baby Laughing

Personally I still probably wouldn't buy a 2nd hand camera, but of course I didn't know how you felt about it Very Happy

-WVD
GottaLaunch
GottaLaunch

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicOrbStudios Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:16 am

You may also want to look to make sure your cam has XLR mic inputs on board. This isnt needed if you plan on using an external recorder but recording audio with the cam is very quick and easy.

For external mics I suggest the Azden SGM-1X when it comes to lower budget consumers. I plan on getting this mic soon and it has a good review.

For higher budget mics, stick with Sennheiser or Audio-Technica. Shotgun mics are the best to use when it comes to video but they range from $100 - $2,000+ It's a good idea to pick a budget and look up reviews to see what works best for the price. With audio, the more you spend, the better quality you get.
SonicOrbStudios
SonicOrbStudios

Back to top Go down

Post  WickedWeb Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:12 am

Thanks Dave very helpful..
WickedWeb
WickedWeb

Back to top Go down

Post  WickedWeb Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:54 am

I think getting started in all this is harder than doing it. At least I hope so. I am learning more and more about cameras everyday and what I need and what things mean when it comes to CCD, lux, recording drive type, XLR, and the list goes on. So that I can afford to get started a bit quicker and get everything I need I have thought about getting a good Z1U or something similar and doing it on payments. What is really putting a damper on my budget is that I need to get a new computer with all this that does well performance wise and graphically. I want to get nice things from the get go and not short myself. I am getting a $2,500 iMac with the best graphics card they got, 750GB storage, and 4 GB of RAM. Oh and a 3.06GHz processor so there is no way my computer is holding me back. I have 2 computers now but one is an old desktop compaq presario that well the best it has worth mentioning is 1GB of RAM I plugged into it myself. Its old, worn, and just would not handle the editing and publishing process. My other is a laptop and well it runs Vista system when vista was introduced if that says enough and with only 512MB of RAM. So a computer is a must.

Then on two editing software. I have to have after effects because so many learning tutorials and methods are based around it and special effects really spikes my interest. I thought about getting the adobe bundle but I just do not need and will not use all the software that comes with it. Vision Lab seems more user friendly anyway when it comes to green screen from what I understand. I am going to give it the best I can. I have already bought a domain name and started building a website around the name Toxic Tank Productions.

Thanks to everyone who has helped point me in the right direction so far.
WickedWeb
WickedWeb

Back to top Go down

Post  WickedWeb Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:38 am

Ok because I am not yet that bright I still need some help. I want to record in High Def. However in a video I watched Mark mentioned mini DV being the most compatible with my providing videos on the internet. Because of ease of taking video from the camera to the computer and uploading. Those are surely not his exact words but I believe that is what I took from it. However every mini DV cam I find such as the GL2 standing out does not mention any high def possibility. Does mini DV not do high def? Everything I see for high def is an HDV camera and does that not mean it uses are hard drive and some harsh compression for editing and such? Really lost again.
WickedWeb
WickedWeb

Back to top Go down

Post  GottaLaunch Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:37 am

MiniDV tapes are often used for HD, and HDV records on MiniDV tape too.

MiniDV camcorders also are in comparison with HDcam or XDcam way cheaper, so in your case I'd go with the miniDV.

And there actually are 3 types of HD:

- HD720, which has a res of 1280x720
- HDV, which has a res of 1440x1080
- HD1080 (also known as full HD), which records at 1920x1080.

In an HD camcorder, normal tapes will do, however Sony's HDV tapes or any other pro tape media will provide you with just a slightly cleaner image.

Another thing to take notice of when buying a comcorder is if the cam is interlaced or progressive.
An interlaced system will shoot (in case of NTSC) 60 times a second half the image, in lines, where progressive systems shoot 30x the full picture, which is better, sertainly at shots where there's a lot of movement, cause interlaced video will result in a phenomena called 'staircasing'.
Interlaced can be recognised by an 'i' as in "1080i" and progressive by a 'p'

Hope to have you informed on HD, WVD
GottaLaunch
GottaLaunch

Back to top Go down

Post  WickedWeb Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:57 am

Thanks that was informational... Seems like I read though that HDV cameras use a compression that sometimes make it difficult process extracting the video in for editing. Perhaps that only stood for one camera I was reading about. Can not remember. I did see however that HDV cameras also used mini dv. All I am looking for is a high def shot, firewire/usb, XLR, manual controls, and I am too tired to think of everything else.. I am about ready to toss the budget out the window and get a camera on payments. I know this is sad but I am almost at a point where I wish someone would say buy this camera.. Overwhelming when so much is out there and it appears so much of it could be wrong for me.
WickedWeb
WickedWeb

Back to top Go down

Post  WickedWeb Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:41 am

Found another one that caught my interest for under 4,000. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/357486-REG/Sony_HVRZ1U_HVR_Z1U_1_3_3_CCD_HDV.html#features

I did not see XLR or fire wire mentioned though.
WickedWeb
WickedWeb

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicOrbStudios Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:56 am

WickedWeb wrote:Found another one that caught my interest for under 4,000. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/357486-REG/Sony_HVRZ1U_HVR_Z1U_1_3_3_CCD_HDV.html#features

I did not see XLR or fire wire mentioned though.

under "General" at the specs tab:
"Firewire: 4-Pin (x1 Input, x2 Output)"
"Mic Audio: XLR (x2 Input)"

Most cams have firewire (1394) but you do have to keep an eye out for XLR inputs. I have worked with the Sony HDR-FX1 many times and it doesn't offer XLR inputs...which I found strange...

Looks like a nice cam, I would get some better batteries and a shotgun though as the two complaints are battery and sound.
SonicOrbStudios
SonicOrbStudios

Back to top Go down

Post  GottaLaunch Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:37 pm

jup, the FX1 dousn't have some of the pro features the Z1 has, like the XLR imputs.
The differances are mentioned in this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmoYMSWbulw.
GottaLaunch
GottaLaunch

Back to top Go down

Post  WickedWeb Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:52 pm

Ok now were getting somewhere. It seems the Z1U has some age to it already but still standing as a good 1st choice. Thanks for the specs there. I was reading the features tab and thought the specs were the same or just missed it after a big lack of sleep. I only seen in the review where one person even mentioned the exporting to an editor process and they said they found the instructions difficult. My being computer savvy hopefully that is not the case for me. This is looking like a pretty good camera for the long haul.. I think I like this one pretty well after being well informed. As well I think I recall one of the (Daves or Davids) mention it before. If you guys think there is something else of competitive nature with this cam let me know. It will be another month to month and a half before I order one.
WickedWeb
WickedWeb

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicOrbStudios Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:13 pm

yea capturing the media to your computer isn't hard, for HD video you need lots of storage space but it's all the same...use the time code of the tape to mark in and out points with your software, capture, tag, and set a save location.

with MiniDV tapes you capture in real time which is slow at first but once you learn to "batch capture" it can get quick.

The cam is controlled by the computer with the software....only a firewire links to the desktop or laptop.
SonicOrbStudios
SonicOrbStudios

Back to top Go down

Post  WickedWeb Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:37 pm

Well I got 750GB of storage and 4 GB or RAM on an iMac heading my way. I should be set. Well I am buying the computer in full but I am going to see about getting the Z1U on payments. I have the credit for it so should be good. Just depends on if they try to rob me or not on interest. I am going to play on youtube with some tutorials around the net like video copilot and get good at different types of media. Eventually I would like to be able to do weddings, local commercial services, and one day my own indie length or full length film. I hope you guys are around to watch me grow and I hope to see you guys progress in your own aspirations as well. Thanks for all the help so far.

I also want to do some of my own stuff with my own music and things. I play a little guitar. Can anyone vouch for Garage Bands features or capability by Apple?
WickedWeb
WickedWeb

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicOrbStudios Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:44 pm

If you want to use Garage Band it would be wise to invest $200 in an audio interface such as the PreSonus Inspire 1394. They sell as most online music stores and even the small music shop around my area has one.

I've never used GB myself though...but I've worked on macs in the past.
SonicOrbStudios
SonicOrbStudios

Back to top Go down

Post  WickedWeb Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:10 pm

Thanks I will look into that.
WickedWeb
WickedWeb

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicOrbStudios Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:19 am

go over some of my youtube videos. I plan on releasing a new DVD soon which I expect to be around 1 hour long and goes over how to start a home studio....what gear to look into, software, digital recorders vs computers, mic choices.

I just have been putting thoughts out for the past few days...I still have to type up a script and storyboard it all.
It will be well worth the low price I plan to sell it at.
SonicOrbStudios
SonicOrbStudios

Back to top Go down

Post  WickedWeb Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:12 pm

Look forward to seeing that information.

On a 2nd note I was investing in all this with a big tax return I got and well first and foremost I planned for home renovations being the most important. I got the estimate back on that today and well it came to much more than I expected so I am out of the water on kicking this up any time soon.. I can still get the new imac soon but the price on the camera will simply have to wait I guess. I can not finance the camera at BH because I am not an established business and even if I was I would have to be established atleast 2 years first. I get a loan for it but man I hate to do that. I just paid off a bunch of money I owed and do not want to get back in the same boat again. If only I could get a government grant for starting a business.
WickedWeb
WickedWeb

Back to top Go down

Tell me what you think. My camera for my budget. Empty failed

Post  WickedWeb Sun May 17, 2009 4:21 am

Well its been a while since I started this thread but I thought I would post back and mentioned my plan has failed. Things come up in life and I was never able to afford all the equipment to start doing good video. Not sure when my day will ever come. So for now I am just another video watcher.. Somebody has to give views on youtube. I guess that will be me.
WickedWeb
WickedWeb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next