Mark Apsolon's Video Production Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Problem: Work Lights for Green Screen

2 posters

Go down

Problem: Work Lights for Green Screen Empty Problem: Work Lights for Green Screen

Post  SVCMatt Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:01 pm

Per Mark's recommendation via youtube, I purchased a couple work lights at Home Depot. They are WorkForce brand, 1000 (2-500w) Halogen Powerlight.

When I turn them on, they are not giving me a glow, rather a line on my screen. I don't think I was expecting what my softboxes do on the screen but what the?

Am I doing something wrong, did I buy the wrong kind of lamp?

SVCMatt

Back to top Go down

Problem: Work Lights for Green Screen Empty Re: Problem: Work Lights for Green Screen

Post  SVCMatt Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:46 pm

Here is what I mean.

Problem: Work Lights for Green Screen Worklights

SVCMatt

Back to top Go down

Problem: Work Lights for Green Screen Empty Re: Problem: Work Lights for Green Screen

Post  SonicOrbStudios Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:07 pm

yea some of those lights are more of a spot beam as the lens isn't build to flood an area evenly.
In one of marks DVDs for lighting, he suggests hanging some fiberglass clothes over the lights to even it out like a softbox.
You could also try bouncing the lights off some white walls to get a more even beam on the screen.
SonicOrbStudios
SonicOrbStudios

https://www.youtube.com/user/sonicorbstudios

Back to top Go down

Post  SVCMatt Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:58 pm

I bought some ripstock nylon. Seems to be working okay. It is making the light more even but has really diminished the power of it. I must say, these lights get really really hot and when added the nylon over it, makes them even more HOT! Geez.

I guess I'd stay away from these unless you have a big room and really no money. Other than that, I think I might be getting them to work although its not working quite as I had hoped.

SVCMatt

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicOrbStudios Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:10 pm

Careful, the nylon may burn on those hot lights. The fiberglass is a much safer material to work with. Actually now that I look it up, it seems ripstop nylon is fireproof.
Yes anything in front of the lights will dim them down quite a bit. You will have to get them close to the screen to keep things lit enough.

I tend to keep anything far away from these 500W worklights. By nature they get quite hot and can set things on fire. I also let them cool down at least 10 minutes before putting them back in the closet with the rest of the gear.
SonicOrbStudios
SonicOrbStudios

https://www.youtube.com/user/sonicorbstudios

Back to top Go down

Post  SVCMatt Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:09 pm

Thanks Dave. Yea, these suckers are HOT!

SVCMatt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down