Mark Apsolon's Video Production Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chromakey lighting (cheap from ebay) and some questions..

2 posters

Go down

Chromakey lighting (cheap from ebay) and some questions.. Empty Chromakey lighting (cheap from ebay) and some questions..

Post  vk3laj Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:03 am

Hi Guys,

I've just purchased my Muslin Green-Screen (6M x 3M) And i have camera and HD video cam etc.
I am scouting E-Bay for some various lighting ideas.. I am wondering what would be the best (and cheapest) option?

I am planning on buying 2 lightboxes but i'm unsure of a few factors: Wattage required & are the globes easily obtainable if they blow?
Something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Supper-4-Heads-Studio-Soft-Box-Lightings-1000W-output_W0QQitemZ250576969203QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories?hash=item3a578d1df3

Or this: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Photo-Studio-Light-Set-Soft-Box-Lighting-System_W0QQitemZ260548745466QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories?hash=item3ca9ea58fa

OR there's the umbrella type http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-Premium-Photo-Studio-Lighting-Kit_W0QQitemZ280427067653QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories?hash=item414ac17905

I guess they would be OK for lighting the subject, but should i use lightboxes on illumination of the chromakey or floods like Mark uses with the hardware shop work lights? His videos are great, however they do not demonstrate filming with the different types of lights.. Ie 10 seconds of footage with the different lights to demonstrate pro's/cons..

One last question on a different note - What is the significance of the two chromakey colors? (blue/green) Are there any advantages to either? Can you use both in the one set & then overlay them with different video/images? Using the different colors to treat them seperatly.

Thanks all

Smile

vk3laj

Back to top Go down

Chromakey lighting (cheap from ebay) and some questions.. Empty Re: Chromakey lighting (cheap from ebay) and some questions..

Post  SonicOrbStudios Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:38 am

Welcome to the forum!
Although the first link you posted is the most expensive kit, I think it's the best and it's the one I would go for.
You can easily change the light output with that kit and the bulbs will last a lot time being they are the CF types.
If needed, you can buy these bulbs online or at most of those local hardware stores.

When I setup my set for keying I normally use Halogen flood lamps for the screen and incandescent lamps for the subject in front of the screen. If you white balance properly, you can get some good results. I did this video with my old Sony HDR series camera not too long ago and it keys out fairly well in Adobe After Effects. I plan on getting a new camera this Thursday so that should work out even better.

For digital cameras that use tape or other modern storage, Green keys out better. Blue is more common for film based cameras as there is a slight difference in how the color is picked up by these types of media and will key out better. Either will work well but its more common to see green on a digital camera set these days. Although if you have someone in a green shirt, a blue screen will be required.
Yes you could use both colors at once but that's two colors you will have to keep off the subject or anything on set. You'll also need to key out with two effects putting more strain on the processor. I find it best to use just one color at a time.

By the way, I removed the second post you made as it was a duplicate.
SonicOrbStudios
SonicOrbStudios

https://www.youtube.com/user/sonicorbstudios

Back to top Go down

Chromakey lighting (cheap from ebay) and some questions.. Empty Lighting for Chroma key video/pictures (and some misc questions)

Post  vk3laj Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:20 pm

Hi Dave,

So you think the top light kit was expensive? $199 AUD (not USD) delivered... I thought that was relatively cheap after looking at some online stores...

Thanks for removing the dup post, i didnt realise there was the 'questions' forum until i'd already posted in the other!

vk3laj

Back to top Go down

Chromakey lighting (cheap from ebay) and some questions.. Empty Chromakey lighting (cheap from ebay) and some questions..

Post  vk3laj Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:51 pm

Hi,

I noticed that in your videos (SonicOrbStudios) you seem to have a glow behind your edges on the image overlay.. Does that mean you're subject light is brighter than your chroma key light (or vice versa) ?'

Cheers

vk3laj

Back to top Go down

Chromakey lighting (cheap from ebay) and some questions.. Empty Re: Chromakey lighting (cheap from ebay) and some questions..

Post  SonicOrbStudios Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:35 am

Thats actually due to my old camcorder. I used to be able to film with a 3CCD sony prosumer camera and that helped out a lot.
I hopefully will get my new Canon HD camcorder in tomorrow and will see how that works out with keying.

This is a video I did a while back comparing a cheap and expensive camera keying out with Premiere Pro CS3.
SonicOrbStudios
SonicOrbStudios

Back to top Go down

Post  vk3laj Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:55 am

Which camera are you getting? I'm also looking currently..
I need something Cheap, Prefer SD card over HDD, and i'd prefer audio input so i can feed my rack audio gear into it.

Any ideas?

vk3laj

Back to top Go down

Post  vk3laj Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:40 am

Here is a mini clip i just did without any studio lighting (or any lighting other than the window open)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma_UrHSa2hw

Using a $5 bedsheet as my backdrop

vk3laj

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicOrbStudios Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:58 am

That video keyed out very well, even compared to my rig and I have lot's of lights. The camera upgrade should fix my keying issues though.

Anyways, I'm getting the Canon VIXIA HF S100. I found it for $500 a few days ago on slickdeals.net and just could not resist. I really like the HC SD cards more than the DV tapes as well as you can open any modern editing program that supports AVCHD and edit that right away.
The HF S100 offers an audio input but it's the small 1/8" mini jack so it's best to run a BeachTek box with it if you can. I personally just record in the studio most of the time so I record audio with the computer and video with the camcorder.
SonicOrbStudios
SonicOrbStudios

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down