Mark Apsolon's Video Production Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Improving Room Sound

3 posters

Go down

Improving Room Sound Empty Improving Room Sound

Post  Doug Fallon Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:27 pm

I will be shooting an interview soon and have been looking for tips on improving the room sound. (my audio equipment will be an XLR type shotgun microphone on a boom going into my video camera) This location is a conference room. The room is an interior room (luckily)with no windows and standard sheet rock walls. There is a marble conference table down the middle. When I scouted the location, I found I will be able to turn off the Heat/Air to remove that background noise, but when I clap my hands in the middle of the room, there is a horrible echo! There is carpet but nothing else to deaden the sound. What can I do??

Doug Fallon

Back to top Go down

Improving Room Sound Empty Re: Improving Room Sound

Post  SonicOrbStudios Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:38 am

I would try to get some portable diffusers to put in some places of the room.
I can't really suggest what to place where without seeing the room but I do know you have to place objects on those fat walls to diffuse the sound so it doesn't bounce back to the center of the room.
SonicOrbStudios
SonicOrbStudios

https://www.youtube.com/user/sonicorbstudios

Back to top Go down

Improving Room Sound Empty DIY portable sound diffusers?

Post  Doug Fallon Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:18 am

Thanks Dave. I did a quick search online and did not get an immediate hit on portable sound diffusers. I have read enough online to see that some people have used foam "egg crate" type mattress pads as diffusers for home recording studios. (Not the cardboard real egg crates, I hear they don't work). Do you think I could pick up a few of these mattress pads at Walmart and hang them abound the room? Any other ideas? Do I need to have them flat on the wall or suspended around the "set" pointed at the talent?

Doug Fallon

Back to top Go down

Improving Room Sound Empty improving room sound

Post  Doug Fallon Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:47 pm

I just flipped through a book titled "The Shut Up and Shoot Documentary Guide" and saw a good idea in there about improving room sound is you have to shoot in a space with all hard surfaces. Use quilted blankets like moving blankets suspended floor to ceiling from a rod across 2 light stands. You can also lay them on the floor and over hard surfaces like tables just out of the shot. I am going to try this. Let me know if you have any other ideas.

Doug Fallon

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicOrbStudios Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:30 am

yea anything to try to break up the hard walls will help out a lot, be it foam or quilts suspended slightly away from the walls.
Try to get some pants or book shelves in there too as this will also break up that echo.
SonicOrbStudios
SonicOrbStudios

https://www.youtube.com/user/sonicorbstudios

Back to top Go down

Post  Jadentan Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:03 am

SonicOrbStudios wrote:I would try to get some portable diffusers to put in some places of the room.
I can't really suggest what to place where without seeing the room but I do know you have to place objects on those fat walls to diffuse the sound so it doesn't bounce back to the center of the room.
I totally agree with you, i would also try to get some portable diffusers to put in some places of the room.Also try to fill room with large objects will force the sound waves to bounce in many different directions, effectively reducing reflections.

Jadentan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down