music??????

View previous topic View next topic Go down

music??????

Post  austinkessler on Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:00 pm

so how do you use music legally? like an aerosmith song or something. if not, how do you get normal music like mark's videos?

austinkessler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: music??????

Post  SonicOrbStudios on Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:44 am

You have to contact the artists and get written approval as well as pay royalties to use the song.
I'm guessing Mark uses royalty free backing tracks for his online free videos so he doesn't have to pay royalties, (which can get expensive.)

In the "Free Stuff" section I posted a site for music tracks you can download for free and use inm your youtube videos. You cant use them for free if you are getting profit from the video though. At that point you will need to pay royalties.

I'm sure Mark has to pay some type of bill for the audio he has in his DVDs sold on tubetape.
If you make your own audio you can use that. This is what I do for my DVDs.

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/sonicorbstudios

Back to top Go down

Post  GottaLaunch on Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:31 am

I presume the highest quality of royalty-free music can be found at shockwave-sound.com, and if you're looking for great intense music with e.g. orchestra or percussion you may consider the DVD 'Pro Scores' from videocopilot.net.

The music in Marks DVD's are royalty-free too, and he indeed had to pay for that groovy music collection (I thought it was around $50 for 8 songs or so, and the name of this company can be found at the titles the Mark Apsolon DVD's Twisted Evil ).

Yours, WVD
GottaLaunch

View user profile http://www.gottalaunch.com

Back to top Go down

Post  David on Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:42 pm

To obtain permission to use a work protected by copyright, you must determine who is the copyright owner of the material you intend to use, contact the owner, and request the right to use the work in the territory and format you intend, and (in some cases) pay the owner a fee. Often the most difficult part of this process is finding the owner to ask permission to use the work.

I have done this in the past, and from that I will tell you, unless you are going to shop your project around, don't bother.

The 3 best sites to check for the copyright owner are:
www.ascap.com
www.bmi.com
and
www.sesac.com

You can get a 1 or 2 year film festival lic w/option for full use if the film gets purchased. Film Festival Lic are cheap to free depending on the artist. The con to the Film festival Lic is at the end of its life you no longer have the rights to use it within that production, unless you purchase the option, which could be very expensive.

There is so much Royalty-free music out there, unless I just have to have that Aerosmith song, I think Free is easier with less headaches.

David

David

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David on Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:43 am

I just watched Mark's 11 min copyright v-log on youtube. Tell us how you really feel.

I can say that your points and argument was well thought out and presented in a very professional manor. I can agree with you on many points that you made.

However, having worked the last 20 years with Intellectual property that was either, mine or the company I worked for, I do have some different views.

You are right in the fact that nobody really gets money from a video they upload on YouTube. But is that really the full picture or just a piece of the pie.

But as an artist in software development, film making and music, it is not just about money. Association plays a huge part as well. Let me try to explain this.

Lets say I produce a video on serial killers and during a montage of crime scene's, mug shots and victims I have a Aerosmith song playing.

Or lets say I grab some of your videos, re-edit video of you acting crazy, hands waving, wicked smiles and such and have a hardcore Slayer song playing, and your audio dubbed out.

I am sure you are aware of the "Kuleshov Effect" most students of film are anyways.

Now many people that see my 2 videos will associate Aerosmith with Serial Killers when they hear the song I used. Not an image Steven and the boys want from their song.
And in 3 mins 30sec of your video set to Slayer music, some will associate you as a Devil Worshiper thus losing any crediablity you have established.

Copyright not only protect a person(s) financial interest, but image and association as well, which, if damaged, could hurt a person far greater over time.

But you are 100% right about Napster and youtube being on the same path. Napster gave songs away, where as YouTube could be far more damaging. I don't have an answer, but you are on the right track with not just shutting down a persons account. Remove the video in question and move on.

Sorry for the long post, Just thought your vlog was pretty cool and warrented a response.

Alfred Hitchcock shows the Kuleshov effect in video interview. Very cool check it out.
http://www.freshdv.com/2007/08/editing-manipulation-and-the-kuleshov-effect.html

David

David

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top