Lapel (or hand-held) mic for Video Camera w/out external microphone

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lapel (or hand-held) mic for Video Camera w/out external microphone

Post  mathisbrogers on Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:46 am

Hello,
I have a JVC miniDV camcorder with a built-in microphone. Frequently, I find myself in situations where I'm standing too far from the "talent" and the camera either doesn't pick the sound up or it gets too much noise from those around me or just wind if I'm outside. I would like to find either a lapel or hand-held (preferably cordless lapel) mic that I can pin to the talent and record them then load the recording into my computer via the usb port and lay that track down as either wav or mp3 on top of the video and delete the video's sound track. Since I generally never make any money for what I video tape, I can probably dig up about $100-$150 for this device.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to supply. I think I remember seeing something like this somewhere before, but couldn't locate it.

Mathis...
Plainview, TX

mathisbrogers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lapel (or hand-held) mic for Video Camera w/out external microphone

Post  SonicOrbStudios on Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:51 pm

As you could probably imagine...Audio and video equipment doesn't come cheap.
At the prices you are looking at you wont get anything wireless. The cheaper wireless setups worth buying start at $500.

How about buying a shotgun mic that mounts and records to your camera?
The Rode VideoMic and Azden SGM1X are both good and offer two different connection types.

To record to a computer you would need a fast computer, sequencer software, audio interface, and microphone...that all could easily add up to $500.
The cheapest way to record would be to buy a mic for your camera and shotguns are nice since they only pick up sounds which are mostly in front of the mic and not off to the sides.

also see these two videos I did about Audio For Video:
http://www.vimeo.com/2554032
http://www.vimeo.com/2595060

Now if you are doing an interview where the cast is standing up you can get by with a handheld mic. The Shure SM58 is a great choice and will last forever...not to mention it's the industry standard live vocal mic...however it will run you $100. To record this to the computer you will need an audio interface such as the PreSonus Inspire or EMU 0202. The EMU will not run on vista yet.

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/sonicorbstudios

Back to top Go down

Thanks, Dave

Post  mathisbrogers on Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:43 pm

I'll check out these two videos. I have the computer and I use Coral's Ulead MediaStudio Pro 8.0 for my NLE so that won't be a problem. Just getting the audio recorded seprately from the video camera and the abilty to get it quickly into the computer is my only issue and I can live with a wired mic. Again, the problem with a shotgun mic is that my JVC miniDV video camera does not have a place for an external mic to plug in. I have had luck with putting a speaker beneath the camera and the talent using a hand-held mic, but most of the time that's not an option where I am standing since I generally have to stand behind the crowd.

Thanks again.
Mathis...

mathisbrogers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicOrbStudios on Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:28 am

yea My Sony camera is the same way..no mic input. It's one of the many reasons I use my computer to record my audio while filming with the video camera.
Look into the EMU 0202 USB if you are running windows XP or the PreSonus Inspire if you have vista/Windows 7. You will be able to record and edit audio on the computer then sync the video later. A tip is to clap once on cam before each scene as this gives you a nice sync point. If you have a slate with clapper on top you can use that as well.

With the Azden shotgun you can mount that on a mic stand overhead and run that on set if you are not doing anything too large. I'll do this setup for a one or two person shot such as a sit down interview. The connection type is XLR so it plugs directly into any interface.

Back to top Go down

Post  mathisbrogers on Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:08 pm

Thanks, Dave,
The E-MU 0202 USB 2.0 Audio interface looks good. However, most of the time when I'm video taping, I'm standing at the back of a church in the balcony and the speakers are on the stage across the sancuary from me. The speakers are usually loud enough that I can pick up everything being said okay as long as the person talking or singing is using a microphone. Unfortunately, if someone coughs, laughs or talks in the audiance between me and the speakers, my camera picks it up and blocks out what's coming through the speakers. If I had a way to record the sound directly from the microphones, then I wouldn't have this problem. And, I don't have a computer in the church where I could hook the E-MU 0202 USB 2.0 Audio interface up to do the recording, so I need something like this that has a harddrive or something I can get the sound onto and then just copy it directly from the device to my computer without having to load it by listening to it. I already have to play the video into my computer via firewire and record it, so I don't want to spend an hour or so loading the video, then another hour or so loading in the sound. If I'm recording in the church studio (which is just a room we don't use that I put a green cloth on the wall and it's just the pastor and me in the room when we shoot) I don't have a problem with using the onboard mic. If I'm filming myself doing a vlog here at home, I don't have a problem with the onboard mic.

I also would like to try filming outside, but this part of the country, the wind blows constently and when I record outside, the wind bangs against the mic. I'm thinking that a microphone with a wind sock on it that would hook up to something like the E-MU 0202 USB 2.0 Audio interface would prevent this. But I cannot take my computer outside to film. I have not tested just putting a peice of thin cotten or cloth over the mic and trying to record with it, but I think that covering it with anything would block all sound. But it wouldn't hurt to try it, I guess.

Thanks again.
Mathis...

mathisbrogers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicOrbStudios on Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:59 pm

Sounds like you could use an MTR such as a Fostex or Tascam unit. Get something with an XLR input or two. They record to compact flash cards and you can drag/drop the WAV files directly to your desktop later that day. Yea having to capture video is a pain but its the best way for consumers at this time.

When it comes to microphones and distance a wireless setup would be idea however as I said they are expensive. A wired lapel or SM58 handheld would be nice...once again they would plug directly into the MTR (multi-track recorder).

In another video I talked about MTRs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebl9qkDDbpU

The Fostex MR8 MKII is cheap at around $250 however its not an outstanding quality unit...but works.
For a recorder like this go for the largest compact flash card the unit will support. They need a lot of storage space.

To fight wind the best way is to have someone hold foam board or thick paper up to block the wind. Wind socks or dead cat mic covers work fail but wont block everything when the wind picks up.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top