Mark Apsolon's Video Production Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another hard drive failed...

2 posters

Go down

Another hard drive failed... Empty Another hard drive failed...

Post  SonicOrbStudios Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:30 pm

Back in November 2008 My external drive which I used for backup failed. Luckily I was able to save most of the data that time. After that I bought a 500GB internal for my desktop to sync with my other drive and do backups.

Well yesterday morning my internal 160GB drive which came with my computer and had my OS on it failed...computer shut down on its own many times, blue screens...then no OS booting.
So I was happy I had my backups on my drives and was able to install the OS on my internal 500GB drive and then copy the backup from my external 500GB drive.

I also have signed up for Carbonite.com for off-site backup.

Always have a backup. If you only have one copy of something it's not backed up.
I keep all of my project files and video captures on my drives. I also keep the MiniDV tapes if I can.

I plan on getting an internal Western Digital Black series 1TB drive as you can get them for under $100 these days. I plan on syncing my internal 500GB drive to that through RAID so I have more backups in case my external decides to break down again...
SonicOrbStudios
SonicOrbStudios

https://www.youtube.com/user/sonicorbstudios

Back to top Go down

Another hard drive failed... Empty Re: Another hard drive failed...

Post  GottaLaunch Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:17 am

Man, this must be a wake-up call for me... I have virtually got no back-ups at all in my 2TB system Shocked

Thanks man, next week i'll back up the lot Smile

But what kind of software is best to use for efficiently backing up?

tnx, WVD

Last edited by WVD on Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
GottaLaunch
GottaLaunch

http://www.gottalaunch.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicOrbStudios Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:27 am

Having this drive fail was a complete shock to me...I would have thought it would have lasted a little more than two years....
but the truth is no product is perfect and that's why everyone should have backups.

If you want to have two drives runs at the same time and sync them without RAID you can use Titanbackup.

I personally am fine with taking some time at the end of each day to go though windows explorer and manually update my drives to keep them in sync. When I build a desktop I will be using a few 1TB drives in a RAID1 configuration.

For those who have a good internet connection and don't have a lot of TB drives, an off-site backup such as Carbonite may be a good choice to pay for as well. Even still, it's a good idea to have on-site backups at your home too.

Edit...now my power jack on my laptop just failed...that center pin got really loose and bent out of shape somehow...
now I know why I saw so many of those power sockets on ebay for my laptop. The good thing is I have a backup HP laptop in the box which I got for $300 last month and is twice as powerful as my current rig.

Edit 2:
So I finally got my rig up and running yesterday. I had the hardest time trying to reformat and activate with a Vista Business update CD. Turns out you have to select Vista Basic, (The OS originally put on my desktop...) and then run the CD again from the desktop which then upgrades and activates windows. Anyways I have a tutorial exporting from Vegas right now and will get it up on youtube soon.
SonicOrbStudios
SonicOrbStudios

https://www.youtube.com/user/sonicorbstudios

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down